Call "volunteering" is a simple way to fill shifts on a voluntary basis. It can be used as a very simple version of the self-rostering module of HosPortal. It is really not designed for very many shifts - rather small sections of days such as Xmas or public holidays or when a user is suddenly unable to complete their shifts and volunteers are sought as a replacement.
When compared with the self-rostering module, it lacks:
1. the ability to set quotas for users, or see whether they have met their quotas for the time period
2. the ability to have the selfrostering period "open" and "close" at particular times
3. the ability of users to take and release shifts while the selfrostering period is open. Volunteering can only be reversed by an administrator.
Setting up Volunteering
1. Enter the call edit mode
2. Choose an empty slot (or you can add a volunteer slot as an additional slot)
3. Instead of choosing a user for that slot, choose "volunteer"
4. As long as you chose "draft" this shift will not be visible to users other than administrators.
5. Set as many shifts as you like to "volunteer" status
1. Choose "publish all" and all these volunteer slots will then become visible to users. This can only be done manually in this way, not on a scheduler.
2. They will be able to volunteer from either their home page or the call page.
3. You must tell users their requirements - there is no system for a quota.